Wetlook-Online

Message # 37513.2.1.1

Subject: Hello Re: Cameras

Date: Tue 07/10/08 18:08:53 GMT

Name: EdR uu

Email:

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

Wetlook-Online
A Nikon D300 or D700 are aimed at the advanced amateur or professional photographer. Unless you plan to take up serious photography, these cameras are generally overkill for most people who just want clean usable snap shots. These cameras are not cheap, the D300 is about $1500 while the D700 goes out the door for about $3000, which is quite alot more than your desired budget of $400. Lets not forget that you still need good quality lenses and you might as well go for some good lights.

If $400 is your maximum budget, I would have to suggest a point and shoot. These cameras can do a fairly good job at producing quality images and some offer features which can actually rival some entry level DSLRs, however, they only have so much capability. These cameras are usually limited by their built in lenses and lack of flash options. For $400 you can start with a much better entry level DSLR. The Nikon D40 and older D70 will take very good high quality images. If you view my website, www.asplashofglamour.com many of the images were created with either my Nikon D70 or D100 as a testament to how much quality you can get out of entry level cameras. (Although now I use a Nikon D200, keeping my D70 & D100 as back-up cameras.) One word about the D40. It will fall within your budget and your older lenses will physically fit the camera body, but the D40 lacks a focus drive motor. The D40 was designed to use Nikon AF-S or AF-I lenses (containing a lens mounted focus drive motors) All other lenses will fit but you will have to manually focus. You may want to try looking for cameras at B&H Photo which has an extensive website with prices for all DSLRs

Sincerely Ed

In reply to Message (37513.2.1) Hello Re: Cameras

By Anonymous - uu Sun 05/10/08 15:51:42 GMT

(this remark is directed a the original poster)

roscoe_bc makes a good point; if your lenses are nikon f-mount lenses, they undoubtedly will work (albeit to varying degrees) on a new nikon digital slr.  since the fool or the poor man buys twice, i might advise you to wait until you have enough capital to buy a professional (or professional consumer)-level nikon, like a d300 or even d700.  my thinking is that you might soon outgrow a used d50 or d70 once you realize the possibilities you have with an slr.  and of course, once you thoroughly try one of the higher-end models in the store, you most likely will be quite aware of the limitations of your current body, realize theoretical new possibilities, and crave the new technology.

but you might be a better and stronger man than i; for this reason, i recommend the nikon d50/d70 as good used cameras.  for compatibility's sake, do not get a d40 or a d60, as nice as those cameras are.  realize also that there will be cropping if you use your film f-mount lenses with a d-whatever as they are not full-frame cameras.  (IE., your 50mm prime lens will shoot more like a 75mm on a d50).

and nothing against canon in the least, but if you have a nikkor lens collection already, then your digital camera should be a nikon.  if you somehow find yourself with an extra $4K laying around, look at the canon 5d mark ii and a good lens--terribly interesting camera and canon makes lenses as well as nikon does (generally)...and that's high praise coming from a nikon shooter.

for your purposes (finding out which gear to buy), professionals are professionals--you can write in photo.net, flickr.com, dpreview.com and such to get other more thorough opinions than mine.  hope this has helped, and best of luck.  

In reply to Message (37513.2) Hello Cameras

By Roscoe_BC - us Sun 05/10/08 15:10:34 GMT

Back in the day I shot everything from 35mm, Mamiya 645 and even some 4x5.  I picked up a Sony Cybershot with a Tessar lens a couple years ago because I wanted something I could stick in my pocket for a trip to China.  I didn't expect much.  This camera continues to amaze me with it's controls and sharpness.  Previously I had an HP with a big honking 10:1 ratio zoom lens.  It sucked.  No sharpness, the lens was really bad news, so be careful about lens quality on the point and shoots.

If you've got lenses from your Nikon system, you might want to see if they can be used on a Nikon digital.  I know some Pentax and Canon digital bodies can use lenses from the 35mm lines.  Some of the older lenses are selling cheap with the 35mm cameras because people don't realize they can be used with the digitals.  I picked up a 35mm Canon Rebel dirt cheap at a resale shop the other day, with a very nice Canon zoom on it that I believe will work well on the digitals, I may be able to just buy a digital body.

In reply to Message (37513) Question No Subject

By Getwet - mtoomey@aol.com us Sun 05/10/08 14:21:35 GMT

Thinking about doing some shooting again after a loooooooooooooong time not shooting anything. Funds are a bit limited at this time, something under $500 would be nice. Still have my 'ol Nikon film camera and know I need to go digital. What do most of producers shoot with these days? Are the Sony Cybershots worth anything? Have seen a couple those for around $400 or so. Also like some of the Fuji cameras. Know Canon Rebels shoot good pics, but hey're usually $500 and up. Have a little Kodak "point and shoot" that shoots great pics, but sure doesn't look very professional. All digital cameras from cheap to expensive seem to shoot pretty good shots these days.

Have been hoping and looking for some wanting to sell a good digital SLR that maybe wants to upgrade to a newer, fancier model. But to no avail so far. Something like a Canaon 30D, Rebel, Nikon D40 or 60. Then again I just saw some D60's at low price camera places online for around $400. You wonder about some of these places.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mark

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy WetLooker.com
WetlookPOV.com

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.031 seconds to generate ]