Wetlook-Online

Message # 19651.1.1.1.1

Subject: Hello Re: FireFox Optimisations

Date: Sun 04/12/05 16:26:05 GMT

Name: Telcontar gb

Email: mrnemesis@ntlworld.com

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

MaK: If I had to guess on a cause, I'd blame XUL. XUL is a combination of XML and JavaScript used to write an extensible, dynamic and skinnable user interface that involves no operating system calls. XUL is one of the very few systems (along with GTK+/Win32) that obeys the Windows preference for font size in applications (for accessibility), and permits code that draws window controls to do so without going near any operating system. By this method, you can write complex user interface code that instantly works on Mac OS X, Windows and X11 (UNIX/Linux). Unfortunately it's a bit slow; Mozilla 1.1 on my 200 MHz Mac was horrendous but Firefox on my PII 333 PC is very fast on first load, and only crawls to a halt once I've been surfing wetlook for a few weeks without a reboot.

How anyone can find Firefox slow, I don't know -- I also have quite a few extensions installed, too. I did try 1.5, and it looked interesting (the new menus look shit -- I liked it how it was before) but I got angry when it deleted all record of a number of important extensions. Instead of grovelling around in XML code in JAR files and trying to work out what they were called in order to look for upgrades, I disposed of it like trash, re-installed 1.0.7 and replaced my backed-up 1.0.7 profile (which live here: \Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\some-gibberish.default) and went back to 1.0.7.

I won't pretend that Firefuck (as I call it) is a nice browser. It's not. But the extensions available for it more than make up for that in general, giving me more power as a user in day-to-day browsing than I got with iCab for Macintosh. Just that it sucks rocks sometimes and I hope that once 1.5 is ready to be used properly I'll find that all the annoying bugs are gone. I hope :)

In reply to Message (19651.1.1.1) Hello FireFox Optimisations

By Nigel - nigel@wetlook.com ex Sun 04/12/05 05:52:47 GMT

A very comprehensive guide to the various tweaks is here: http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_8.html

Nigel

In reply to Message (19651.1.1) Hello Re: Re: Off topic again - Firefox

By Morbos - be Sun 04/12/05 04:55:44 GMT

Thanks for the icon-removal tip.  That's the only thing that I don't like about 1.5.  Looks like I'll be sticking with firefox for a while.  

You can greatly speed up the firefox browsing speed by opening up the number of connections and such.  Look it up on google or check this thread: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52431&highlight=speed+firefox

In reply to Message (19651.1) Talking Re: Off topic again - Firefox

By MaK - dk Sun 04/12/05 02:18:37 GMT

There is really not much fire over that fox and has never been. I usually call it Slowfox instead ;-)

Netscape had a very fast and efficient browser up to version 4.6 to 4.7 (depending on the language). Then they "committed suicide" and jumped on this terrible Mozilla project, which Firefox is also a part of.

You have done a great job making this forum fast, so you know something about efficiency, but most programmers do not do that. A sufficent amount of object-oriented programming can kill even the fastest computer.

I have also tried Opera. It is fast and efficient, but it cannot print - at least not to PostScript - and it do not display things the way IE do, so even though I am really not among Microsoft's biggest fans, I see no alternative to IE.

In reply to Message (19651) Note Off topic again - Firefox

By Nigel - nigel@wetlook.com ex Sat 03/12/05 17:02:51 GMT

Hum, not very impressed with the new build - 1.5 seems very slow - 1 thing you can do to speed it up - disable the damn thumnail tabs - this takes processing time to squeeze them down:

1 Enter URL of about:config

2 filter on "image_icon" (browser.chrome.image_icons.max_size sets the size above which thumbnails aren't produced)

3 change the value from 1024 to 0

Nigel

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy Wetlook-Online
WetLooker.com

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.017 seconds to generate ]