WetlookPro

Message # 7771.3

Subject: Info My two cents...

Date: Fri 02/01/04 12:01:30 GMT

Name: AnthonyX ca

Email: anthonyx@jowc.net

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

Wetlook-Online
I agree with some of the opinion/advice on this thread, disagree with others...

To answer your question: the connections are almost certainly not from "friendly" people... and someone connecting to your computer as adminstrator can/will have COMPLETE control over your machine. Consider yourself very lucky if your machine hasn't been compromised yet and they give up after only a few tries... but to quote Schwarzenegger: "THEY'LL BE BACK!"

1.  Windows 98 is NOT secure. It's fine for corporate desktops (behind corporate firewalls), and unlikely to be compromised when accessing the internet direct via dialup (assuming connect durations are short). However, permanent-on connections like DSL or cable will make a Win 98 system a sitting duck for hackers. There are enough of them out there running IP/port scanners that one WILL find you in fairly short order (as apparently already happened). Add to that the weak-to-nonexistent internet security in Win 98 (it just wasn't built with our present internet environment in mind) and you are basically making a gift of your computer to the hackers as their toy as soon as your machine and modem are powered up.

2.  Windows 98 should really be viewed as a "legacy" platform. It is NOT a 32-bit O/S like NT, Win 2K, or XP. If anything, it is a sort of transitional O/S.

3.  Software firewalls are NOT bulletproof. As your computer starts up, it activates networking BEFORE starting up the firewall, so there is always a window of opportunity for it to be hacked (even if it is brief). In my opinion, this weakness makes them a waste of time.

4.  You should be able to upgrade from Win 98 to Win 2K without having to do a re-install. Typically, the NT-based O/S's (including 2K and XP) have offered the option to use either FAT or NTFS, and installations always start on a FAT volume and automatically convert to NTFS (if that is what you want). (This was always the case for NT 4, I believe it was true for 2K, but have no experience with XP, so I can't say for sure). Anyway... you SHOULD have the opportunity to simply upgrade the O/S without having to reformat your disk but DON'T take my word on that.

My best advice:

1.  Buy an all-in-one DSL/cable router/firewall/hub (SMC Barricade or equivalent)... they are CHEAP and EFFECTIVE! Plus, they are ideal for creating small home networks. You don't have to go wireless, but if you've got the money, why not! Just bear in mind that if you DO go for the wireless option, make sure you enable the wireless security features (not always enabled by default). If you get one of these wonderful gadgets, you don't have to waste your time (or your computer's resources) with a software firewall. Any O/S (even Win 98) should be safe behind an "external" firewall such as the Barricade assuming it is correctly configured (in the case of the Barricade, it is secure by default).

2.  Move up from Win 98! Be sure to back up your data (email and everything), and make sure you've got installations for all your favourite software BEFORE YOU START, even if you elect to try an in-place upgrade (rather than a radical reformat/re-install). You will almost certainly have to reinstall all your application software no matter what approach you take for your O/S upgrade. If you are able to get through the update (rather than radical reinstall) successfully, there's a fair chance you can save a few steps (not having to restore your data or re-install applications), but DON'T COUNT ON IT! I think it is worth the attempt.

3.  Don't be too quick to trust freeware. Remember the rule: "you get what you pay for".

4.  If you have a CD burner, consider something like DriveImage... a great tool for backup/recovery of any disk, including working operating systems. It can be a bit problematic to use on some systems because (the version I have) doesn't know how to burn a CD, so a backup has be staged somewhere (typically on another disk or logical drive) before it can be burned to CD (using something like Nero).

In reply to Message (7771) Question Off topic- another techie question

By buddy - us Thu 01/01/04 13:28:13 GMT

I have DSL... About a year ago I started noticing that often when I powered down windows 98 it would say another computer was connected to mine.  So I got some freeware called "Net Sentinel" that apparently detects when these other computers connect, and lets me disconnect them.  

So, now, several times while I am online, Net Sentinel plays its warning tone, and I must boot "someone" off.  I don't think these other "people" are able to download anything, or access my HD in any way (it's not shared), but they are still apparently connected in some sense.  Whenever I boot someone, they reconnect again, usually around 5 minutes later, under a different "role"-  user, admininstrator, owner, [person's name], [blank], etc.  This usually continues 5 or 6 times, then the connector gives up.  This is really more of an annoyance than a danger IMO, but I am a bit curious-

Are these actual "people" who are attempting connect for some purpose, or is it some automatic function of some machine(s) somewhere?

Any good ideas of good software I can use to block this nonsense without excessively loading up my HD/ eating up my CPU's resources/ causing bugs/ problems with my web access?

Any hints from the tech savvy would be appreciated!

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy Clips4Sale
Wetlook-Online

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.021 seconds to generate ]