minx

Wetlook World Forum

Current time: Fri 29/03/24 06:15:18 GMT

Translate page FROM gb -> TO de fr it nl es pt jp

Translate page TO gb <- FROM de fr it nl es pt jp

MyWetloook

Message # 57048.1.1.1.1.1

Subject: None Re:There is an obvious solution to this...

Date: Sun 17/02/13 18:11:31 GMT

Name: EdR uu

Email: asplashofglamour@gmail.com

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

If I were commissioned to produce an image especially for desktop wallpaper, then I would certainly consider the aspect ratio of the display being used. But when shooting for a photo set I use a general format that can be displayed on numerous devices, unfortunately we can't provide a one size fits all solution.

This really isn't something new. In the old days, there was a big problem showing movies made for the big screen on the narrower TV screens. So movies were cropped to fit. Unfortunately this meant that they often lost much of the scene, including very important visual cues. In more recent times, manufacturers began offering wide screen TVs which was great for movie releases, but now regular TV programs would not entirely fill the wider screen. Another solution was to stretch the image to fit the format, but it created visual distortion. In the end, it's still a series of compromises. The same has held true for photographs. Due to the wide range of displays, no fixed image will ever fit the fixed size of a display, than to crop, or stretch the image to fit. Even images intended for desktop wallpaper has to address this basic problem.

Sincerely EdR

In reply to Message (57048.1.1.1.1) Talking Re:There is an obvious solution to this...

By AnthonyX - anthonyx@jowc.net ca Sun 17/02/13 15:59:30 GMT

There is one other consideration on the subject of landscape vs portrait...

I have come upon some images which I would have liked to use as desktop wallpaper. The problem is that they were shot in portrait, so converting to a display aspect ratio removes a lot of the subject from the resulting image.

I understand the point about "empty" background, but I wonder if it would still apply if you were composing a frame with the intent of using it for desktop wallpaper.

In reply to Message (57048.1.1.1) None Re:There is an obvious solution to this...

By EdR - asplashofglamour@gmail.com uu Sun 17/02/13 13:44:15 GMT

Yes, there are a few solutions to displaying portraits and landscape. From my end, I generally shoot both ways. Shooting in portrait, comes just as naturally to me as shooting in landscape. And yes, I often shoot models laying down. Unfortunately, it's hard to capture an entire set with a model just laying down. I like them to be active and moving around, and that usually means they are upright.

As for displaying, you don't need to display just one image anymore. Today's wide aspect ratio screen is ideal to display at least two portrait images side by side, simultaneously. Most mobile devices automatically turn images to fit the frame, and the smaller screens are easy to turn themselves so that you can hold the entire device either in landscape or portrait.

Sincerely EdR

In reply to Message (57048.1.1) Idea There is an obvious solution to this...

By Hans - ch Sun 17/02/13 11:38:13 GMT

...which is to photograph the subject while floating, or lounging horizontally.  Then you get the benefits of both.
In reply to Message (57048.1) None Re:? To Wetlook Photographers - Portrait vs Landscape

By EdR - asplashofglamour@gmail.com uu Sun 17/02/13 03:13:31 GMT

I can't speak for everyone, as each photographer has their own style. Style aside there are other things to consider. The human form is taller than wider. If you were to try to shoot a human subject in its entirety, from head to toe, within a landscape frame, most of the image will be background, while the subject will appear small within the frame. Most photographers who shoot people want to emphasis the subject of the image and will turn the camera into the portrait frame to make the subject take up more of the frame. This does two things, first, it reduces the background, and second the subject takes up more of the frame. Unfortunately, it's not easy to display on either a computer monitor or a TV screen, and a compromise has to be met. In TV shows, the compromise for using human subjects is that they usually do not display human subjects in their entirety. Another words they may display just their heads, or the upper part of the body, but if you're into legs and feet, you're not gonna see much. Another thing to consider is, photographs can also be displayed in print and prints can be hung on walls either way. Other than that, the compromise for displaying people, is we shoot in landscape and you see a smaller person with plenty of background, or we shoot in portrait so that the model appears somewhat larger, and clearer, but you also get dead space on each side of the image, in either case, humans do not fit well on computer monitors or TV screens, because these devices are wider than taller, and the human form, in its entirety, is taller than wider.

Sincerely EdR

In reply to Message (57048) Question ? To Wetlook Photographers - Portrait vs Landscape

By GeorgeSK - uu Sat 16/02/13 22:03:18 GMT

Just a question to wetlook photographers, maybe somebody has already asked it:

Why is the majority of pictures in a portrait aspect ratio and not landscape? Is it easier to shoot portait than landscape? (I thought landscape mode was easier and more natural to shoot because you don't have to rotate the camera during shooting, but maybe I am wrong).

I ask because in the last 5-6 years the majority of laptop and tablets screens have gone from the 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 and thus the majority of pictures in portrait mode don't show their true potential on these narrow screens, because they cover less than 1/3 of the screen area. The landscape mode at least fills the screen better, even if the picture is not 16:9 (I like to use my favourite pictures as a desktop background slide show).

Is there an artistic consideration behind the choice to shoot in portrait mode over landscape?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy Wetlook-Online
Clips4Sale

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.028 seconds to generate ]