Wetlook-Online

Message # 34991.1.2.1

Subject: Hello Re: dyngus day

Date: Mon 31/03/08 20:45:20 GMT

Name: MK us

Email: wamtec@comcast.net

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

Wetlook-Online
It is true that most of the countries that stage wet festivals are either in very hot countries, or they have them in the summer months when the weather is warmer.

But there are also very successful wet scenes in very COLD conditions too. Just checkout the dozens of "Special Olympics" events and websites in 16 different states in the USA...and their "Polar Plunge" and Penguin Plunge" events. All you have to do is type those words on flickr.com and you can find thousands of pics, and those events are very successful and draw thousands of people and raise millions of dollars for charity too.

Some countries like Germany have managed to take old traditions like the "Gautchfest" dunking events of new apprentices...and turn those events into major tourist attractions, and the weather is Germany is not hot when they do those events.

Similarly in Austria and Switzerland you have at least 20 different "Dirndl" water dunking events taking place too, and those have evolved from being an old tradition...to being a tourist attraction too.

Your description of Poland sounds very bleak...I am sure it is not as bad as you make it out to be, cos basically you are saying that it is not a good time to visit anytime from Jan to December...and we need to wait another 50 years until "Global Warming" melts the ice caps... ha ha....and I cannot wait that long.

BTW....what you describe about the people in the city objecting to the water throwing and calling the cops....that is EXACTLY how things used to be in Bangkok, Thailand in the mid 1990's, and the water throwing was causing so many disturbances and traffic accidents in the city (i.e. people getting knocked off their motorbikes due to water attacks).....that the city came up with a simple solution. That is, 10 years ago they totally BANNED water throwing during the festival in the main city areas...but they created one "designated area" (called Khao San Rd...next to the Grand Palace park) and they closed off the traffic to that area, and just told people that they must confine all their water throwing celebrations to this one street only....and that is how Bangkok is today...i.e. Songkran activities are banned all over the main city...and only allowed if you go to this one area along Khao San Rd.

That is what they could easily do in Warsaw too....and the cold weather should not be a factor....cos there are thousands of pics you can find on the net of people in the UK and Scandinavia who go for Polar Bear swims etc...and even more such pics on the U.S. sites sponsored by Special Olympics.

MK

In reply to Message (34991.1.2) Hello Re: dyngus day

By Mahony - pl Mon 31/03/08 17:51:52 GMT

What news reports did you expect with snow on the ground. it's worth checking Warsaw for instance on weather.com before even trying. Easter can be cold here and this one was a record since I think the 1970s.

We had nothing to record this year.

As for the de-centalized events, well these traditions are getting less and less popular. The climate has changed here. Summers have become very hot and winters rarely see much snow, but not every time of the year has seen warming. Spring time has had some very unusual cold waves lately, and dyngus in such weather is really no fun. Not only with -1 to 2 celsius, like this year, but also 6 - 7 celsius and rain, like last. Most TV material are archives from the nineties, when we had some dynguses with temperaturs like 24C. Anyway, nowadays with such weather most people don't like the tradition and call the cops.

As for generating tourist dollars, Poland doesn't do that well. We generally don't promote the country (like many in our region) and it's attractions. This has changed a bit lately, with for instance Krakow getting on to the main tourist map, but that's only lately and in that time dynguses were poor. And anyway, holidays are not a good time to visit. On easter everything is closed, except a few bars and restaurants and maybe some cinemas (though many of these are in shopping malls that are closed by law on easter and can't open) and Poles spend time with there family, so it's just plain boring to come here at that time. And anyway, to top it off, airports are in total mayhem and completely blocked around easter (and christmas) as Poles working outside the country come back home to the families and also many young and less traditional Poles go the other way around to storm the Alps, Tunisia or the Canary Islands. So generally this wouldn't work IMHO.

Mike.

In reply to Message (34991.1) Hello Re: dyngus day

By MK - wamtec@comcast.net us Mon 31/03/08 14:09:59 GMT

It happened last monday (dyngus day is always Easter Monday), and I set my vcr to record the Polish tv channels on my dish system but they only showed about 10 seconds of water throwing clips on the tv news reports, and nothing of any substanc worth saving.

I was hoping the wet fans in Poland would be able to record better scenes from their Polish tv channels, cos we only get 2 Polish channels in my region in Florida.

The problem with Dyngus Day celebrations are that they are totally de-centralized, and disorganized. By that I mean, with the water throwing festivals in Spain, China, Burma, Cambodia, Panama, Ecuador and Thailand -- those are all "centralized" and "organized" ..i.e. you know exactly where to go to see stuff happening, cos those events are specifically organized to occur in centralized locations...so you know where to go to capture things. With the water throwing festivals in Poland and Hungary, those are completely "random" events that can happen spontaneously in any part of the city or rural areas, so you have no chance to see events, unless you happen to be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

If the local authorities in Poland were smart, they could generate millions in tourist dollars, if they just created a centralized location for these celebrations...e.g. like a county fairground or something. This is what they have done in Spain and Korea and Thailand and Panama -- they have turned sleepy little towns that had no tourist industry at all....into megabucks tourist attractions that get 100,000 visitors each year, by exploiting their festivals so that many foreign tourists come to see them.

MK

In reply to Message (34991) Hello dyngus

By uwe - de Mon 31/03/08 12:42:29 GMT

A nice dyngus-day link I found:

http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomosci/51,53600,4046488.html?i=0 Thumbs Up

How about this years pics????

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy WetLooker.com
WetlookPOV.com

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.030 seconds to generate ]