Wetlook-Online

Message # 3328.3.3

Subject: Hello Re: Re:Interesting!

Date: Sun 20/04/03 00:57:31 GMT

Name: Swimtest gb

Email:

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

...... and here:

http://www.thelowell.org/news/2002-03/oct31-swimming.html

In reply to Message (3328.3) Mixed Re:Interesting!

By Dean - us Sat 19/04/03 23:58:48 GMT

That is a very odd requirement for graduation! I remember when I was in college,one of the faculty told me years before I got there that they used to have a field day type of event for the senior class close to graduation.Among the events-a tug of war between students and teachers complete with large mud pit!I guess events like that are common at most universities.I remember sarcastically thinking to myself"thank God they don't hold those events any more!".I could never teach or work at that university because I'd be too busy looking through that underwater window!That's a bit cruel though not letting the students empty there pockets,what about cell phones,important paperwork in their wallets,etc.I wonder if students were ever pulled from class for this"test"during say,cheerleading practice? or ballet class? My imagination s running wild with all the potential wetlook scenarios! Thanks for sharing that!
In reply to Message (3328) Hello University swimming test

By LWB - Lucy.Butcher@lycos.co.uk gb Sat 19/04/03 21:40:31 GMT

I've been following this forum for some time but never had the time to get round to posting anything.  Today I thought I'd remedy that.

I was at university studying for a Biology degree and the third of the four years was spent studying at a university (UCC) in the USA (I won't bore you with the details of the course, which is irrelevant here).  They arrange things differently in the USA - they have four terms (called semesters) instead of three in the UK, and they start university older, at age 19 I think.  The other strange thing about the place was that every second year student had to complete a swimming test as a requirement to progress on to the third year.  They had to swim two lengths of the Gym pool and then stay afloat or tread water for the remaining five minutes.

The swimming tests were held every Friday morning during the spring semester and undergraduates were supposed to sign themselves into one of the tests, which were held at half-hour intervals.  I used to take a swim in the Gym pool early a.m. because it was quiet then, but on Fridays you had to be out of the pool to make way for the tests at 10a.m.

I noticed that about twenty undergraduates came each time, and sat on long benches in their swimming costumes waiting to take the test.  They were usually changing in the changing rooms when I was leaving.  Then eight or so at a time, on the instruction of a lifeguard, they jumped or dived into the pool to do the test.

An underwater observation window was used to check that undergraduates were not touching the bottom or sides of the pool.

I tried to find out why they had to do the test, and got various answers, but the most common one was that one of the University's donors provided money for a pool with the stipulation that students pass a swimming test because one of his daughters had drowned (I don't think she had drowned at the university though!)  What this has to do with progressing through a degree course on an unrelated academic subject, I do not know. Two girls my age, Nicole & Laura, who I got to know though lectures, said that they had no intention of doing the swimming test as they didn't see the point.

On the last Friday of the semester, I got out of the pool at about 10a.m. to return to the changing rooms but noticed that this time there were about eight or nine students sitting on the long benches but they hadn't changed into their swimming costumes.  I saw that Nicole and Laura were amongst them.  It turned out that those who did not show up for the sessions earlier in the semester were summoned from their lectures or whatever they were doing, and told that they would have to complete the swimming test that morning and had to swim in whatever clothes they happened to be wearing.  Those who refused would be immediately suspended from the university.  These were presumably the undergraduates who had waited until the last minute in the hope that they wouldn't have to do the test?

Then, upon the command of the lifeguard - a short blow of a whistle - the eight or nine students made their way to the edge of the pool clearly looking very uncomfortable, and prepared themselves to jump in fully clothed, to prove to the university's authorities that they would not drown if suddenly forced to be in a swimming pool for five minutes.

I found out afterwards that the idea was to make them feel humiliated, with clothes ruined and nothing dry to change into - they weren't even allowed to remove their shoes, watches or the contents of their pockets.

I met up with Nicole & Laura the following day.  Laura had been summonsed to the pool from a Biology lecture.  She said she expected them to lend her a swimming costume, not have to go in with everything on.  Nicole, who had been in the library, told me that she was nervous, because she had been wearing a new cotton dress at the time which revealed her underwear when wet. She said it felt like everyone was watching her (which they probably were) as she climbed out of the water.  She said that she did not think it should be a graduation requirement. Her embarrassment was compounded after losing a shoe in the pool and having to go back in to retrieve it. The dress was ruined by the chlorine.

They didn't even give them a towel afterwards.  The students had to make their journeys across campus and home in their wet clothes.

So why fully clothed?  I was told that the undergraduates are warned at the start of the spring semester that they must book themselves in for one of the scheduled tests.  Students wore their normal swimming costumes for these.  But despite a final compulsory test - fully clothed - for those missing earlier sessions, word did not seem to get passed on from the previous year.

I was exempt from taking the test because I was a visiting student.  I have not come across this practice at any other college or university.  I would be interested to know if anybody else has.

There you are, my first posting, I hope it's not been too long!

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy WetLooker.com
WetlookPOV.com

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.016 seconds to generate ]