minx

Wetlook World Forum

Current time: Thu 28/03/24 19:56:56 GMT

Translate page FROM gb -> TO de fr it nl es pt jp

Translate page TO gb <- FROM de fr it nl es pt jp

Wetlook-Online
Wetlook-Online

Message # 28129.6.1.1.1.1.1

Subject: Question Re: OT: I almost really screwed up my computer!

Date: Wed 28/03/07 13:11:03 GMT

Name: Telcontar gb

Email: mrnemesis@ntlworld.com

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

Can't you just uninstall it? Use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to simply uninstall it. Assuming it's not part of a larger package that you want to keep, this is your best bet.
In reply to Message (28129.6.1.1.1.1) Hello Re: OT: I almost really screwed up my computer!

By Desert Hawk - us Wed 28/03/07 05:30:05 GMT

I wish I knew how to avoid the sign up for Norton crap that runs automatically at startup.  Everytime I power up the computer I have to wait for Norton signup to start and then click the X and then "Are you sure you want to exit" and click yes.  
In reply to Message (28129.6.1.1.1) Hello Re: OT: I almost really screwed up my computer!

By Telcontar - contact@liquidladies.org gb Tue 27/03/07 18:48:14 GMT

If this is any version of Windows NT (NT 3/4, 2000, XP or Vista) you still have to log in. The only difference is that the computer logs you in automatically. You still have a user account that has to be loaded and engaged at start-up, and saved and closed at shutdown. I make myself log in, so that I can bypass my main account and log in as Administrator should I ever need to, which is useful sometimes to get a user environment free of all the apps that run at start-up etc. (Alternatively I could hold shift during log-in to bypass them all)

In Mac OS X, I only have one account, and it logs in automatically.

In reply to Message (28129.6.1.1) Hello Re: OT: I almost really screwed up my computer!

By Desert Hawk - us Sun 25/03/07 05:32:14 GMT

I don't have to log in to my computer.  My user ID is the factory default of "Compaq User", and it is completely open access after bootup.  I don't have to bother with "press alt-ctrl-del to log on" or a password.  There are no credit card numbers stored on the computer.  
In reply to Message (28129.6.1) Hello Re: OT: I almost really screwed up my computer!

By Telcontar - mrnemesis@ntlworld.com gb Sat 24/03/07 17:29:01 GMT

Mac OS 9 and earlier does its repair process before boot (this is long before you get to running Disk First Aid during boot). When the happy Mac appears, it sorts out the drive before even proceeding to boot the OS. When the power went out here the other day, I was quite surprised at just how long it spent fiddling with the drive before it would allow the OS to start up. But you don't need 30 minutes of repair time ... takes about a minute maybe on a 1997 Mac to repair the file system. (Plus there's the second phase, boot-time Disk First Aid, but I don't even bother with that)

Windows 2000, also, took longer to boot than normal, I felt, but once I'd logged in it seemed to be OK ... Maybe it took longer than usual to log in and launch everything in Startup, but Windows is painful about that so it's hard to gauge. Because Mac OS 9 isn't pre-emptively multitasked, each item in Startup Items is launched in succession, so only one process is launching at once, and has full use of the hard drive. Windows tries to launch everything simultaneously, which renders the disc cache mostly useless (since every program and its dog is trying to use the drive) and trying to share disc access with so many programs at once tends to result in a hefty brawl with a lot of smashed beer glasses and broken tables.

I was told that Windows was terrible with file system integrity, and crashes would always result in disc damage. Maybe that was Win9x and FAT -- Windows 2000 and NTFS seems pretty robust, the Registry too, and I don't see it even doing chkdsk on startup after a BSOD or power outage (lawn mower heated with a paint stripper, broken kettle ...). As is Mac OS 9 and HFS+. I don't run Mac OS X often enough to see how it survives power failures or whether if I abuse it like I do my other machines, it would survive kernel panics well :)

If the OS were to boot and My Pictures were dead, I'd rather suspect that it *had* sustained heavy damage, as all systems I've used recover during boot automatically and are fixed by the time you log in.

In reply to Message (28129.6) Hello Re: OT: I almost really screwed up my computer!

By AnthonyX - anthonyx@jowc.net ca Sat 24/03/07 01:47:25 GMT

Windows is generally pretty robust. I think that part of your grief may have come from the way you attempted to recover from your mis-step with the power.

There are two possible problems which may occur as a result of an ill-timed power cycling:

One used to be a major problem - hard disk drives could be destroyed due the heads seeking onto the disk when it not spinning fast enough for the heads to fly properly. I don't think this has been a problem for many years due to the way drives are designed (and have been for a long time).

The other problem is very likely what you encountered. Files were still open and the system was busy writing back information when you pulled the power. This leaves the file system in an inconsistent state. Normally, the system will recover all by itself. The best thing to after an abrupt power-down like that is to simply boot the machine up and give it *lots* of time to stabilize. That means waiting for the flurry of disk activity to subside. Depending on the state the system has to recover from, the size of the disk(s) and amount of content on them, and the speed of the machine, it could take a while - 30 minutes or more. When it settles down, do a "proper" reboot (clean system shutdown/restart). Everything should come back fine at this point; if not, then consider more drastic action. I think you invoked "recovery" prematurely... had you allowed the system to restart normally instead of selecting recovery, you probably would have found everything back to normal.

It's quite likely that you were trying to use the system while it was still recovering and had the file system "frozen" while it was sorting things out. This is why most stuff wasn't working - almost every application will want to write something to the disk at some point. It's also why the things that did work were very slow - the system was busy with its recovery work.

I'm always careful (double and triple check) to make sure a system is "safe" before removing power. I have my systems all on UPS (battery back-up) to make sure there are never problems with unexpected power interruptions.

Of course one other option might be to switch to a laptop/notebook.

In reply to Message (28129) Hello OT: I almost really screwed up my computer!

By Desert Hawk - us Fri 23/03/07 08:05:09 GMT

Today I made a very simple mistake that I thought was going to destroy my computer!  I turned off the power on my power strip a few seconds before the computer had completely shut down!  I realized what I had done as soon as I did it.  I turned my compuer back on to see if there was any damage.  There was!  It would look like Windows was booting, but it would next best thing to freeze up after booting.  AOL would not start.  "My Pictures" would not start.  In fact the only thing that would start was Solitaire, and it took a long time to start.  AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was afraid I had totally ruined my computer with one stupid mistake.  "Turn off computer" worked, so I shut it down again and then turned it on again and at the first boot screen I pressed F10 (system recovery).  This went through a bunch of crap for literally half an hour.  Then I had to go through the first time powerup crap (name the computer, do I want to sign up for this and that, etc).  Then I had to click Internet Setup and reselect AOL as my default ISP.  Then I had to wait for it to reset again.  Then I was finally able to make AOL start and My Pictures start.  I connected for about 2 minutes, then signed off and shut down the computer again and restarted it again to make sure everything works.  Now I am back on. WHEW!!!  My AOL account information is intact, and so are my pictures, although it did put thekm in a different order (alphabetical, I think).  I think I will remember to not hit the power switch too soon again!  WHY ARE PC'S SO SENSITIVE???!!!

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy WetLooker.com
WetlookPOV.com

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.034 seconds to generate ]