minx

Wetlook World Forum

Current time: Sat 20/04/24 00:35:22 GMT

Translate page FROM gb -> TO de fr it nl es pt jp

Translate page TO gb <- FROM de fr it nl es pt jp

MyWetloook

Message # 27454.3.1

Subject: Hello Re: Web hosting suggestions?

Date: Thu 15/02/07 11:48:41 GMT

Name: Telcontar gb

Email: mrnemesis@ntlworld.com

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

Wetlook-Online
I think this is the point that Graham was trying to make to me:

http://www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/Site5

Some people get a good deal. Some people get a raw deal. At The Mothership prices, you EXPECT to get a good deal and as I understand, you do. With all these $5-10/month high-traffic sites, reliability seems to be a gamble. The most recent gamble for WIR/LL/REG was Globat and amongst other stupidities, lost the entire WetInRed site at one stage. Not a good gamble.

The question is whether these gambles are worth continuing, at around $90 a year, or pay The Mothership $900/year for guaranteed reliable hosting.

The snag is that so far, I have not found a single suitable site where 100% of customers are happy. Customer satisfaction with the people who host my site -- 1 GB space, 20 GB traffic, is pretty much 100%, which is very rare. Is The Mothership a site that offers 100% satisfaction for larger-scale sites? Is that guarantee worth the price?

It comes down to this: each WIR member pays $100 and that is that. Globat hosting is ~$6/month, and most high-traffic sites are $6-$10/month. So each membership covers a whole year's hosting. I feel we should either drop the membership price to a fair sum that really represents the hosting costs, or keep the price the same and use The Mothership.

I am not in this for the money, although I cannot speak for Bob and, if he joins us, Tom. I have discussed this whole issue at length in a mail to Bob, Tom and Patrick at The Mothership, as well as in a private message with Graham.

Given my position alone, it's pretty much a matter of what all the future members want to pay for, and what recent members think we should do with their money. I'm not a businessman, I'm a nerd with no clue about the world, and as far as I am concerned, my job is to keep Steve's legacy going and nothing more. What do you think we should be doing about this?

In reply to Message (27454.3) Hello Re: Web hosting suggestions?

By Tom - at Thu 15/02/07 11:08:11 GMT

Check site5.com and their "5 dollar deal".
In reply to Message (27454) Help Me Web hosting suggestions?

By Telcontar - mrnemesis@ntlworld.com gb Wed 14/02/07 00:04:21 GMT

WetInRed.com (as well as LL, REG Productions etc) is hosted with Globat, who are a bunch of complete monkeys. The hosting is due for renewal at the end of the month, and I want to jump ship and go with a decent host.

Before he died, Steve was set on IX, but I've been reading up on them and they get some pretty terrible reviews. My own host (ICDSoft.com, for my personal site) gets nothing but endless glowing reports, but they're not cut out for large sites like Steve's, else I'd go with them instantly -- they're wonderful.

WetInRed.com has just over 15 GB of files, and uses about 200 GB traffic each month. The site needs PHP 4 and mySQL 4 (all Globat offer!), and Apache hosting (since I'm familiar with Apache).

So far, LunarHost looks to be good bet, maybe Host Gator (but "Gator" as a name instills fear in me ;) -- anyone else have a better suggestion? Obviously, we need plenty of headroom past our present 15 GB/200 GB usage.

I am perfectly happy reconfiguring Apache by hand: all I need is reliability! A host that won't accidentally wipe the site (as Globat did with Steve) or break the stats or the FTP go down for hours in the middle of a big update, or the back-up system settings get wiped by server faults ...

After all, who needs 24/7 live and phone chat (which I don't have with ICD and never desired) when the site works properly in the first place? :P

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy Wetlook-Online
Clips4Sale

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.002 seconds to generate ]