minx

Wetlook World Forum

Current time: Thu 25/04/24 00:35:35 GMT

Translate page FROM gb -> TO de fr it nl es pt jp

Translate page TO gb <- FROM de fr it nl es pt jp

WetlookPro

Message # 23093.1.1.1.1

Subject: Hello Re: Re: Re: Re: Trivia time again!

Date: Tue 20/06/06 10:37:14 GMT

Name: Anonymous uu

Email:

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

FWIW, the scene in question can also be seen in 1995's "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie", the big-screen version of a long-running tv show in which cheesy old movies are adapted to include a human and two robots in the corner of the screen making fun of the silly scripts and poor acting. The film targeted in the feature-length version of Mystery Science Theater happens to be "This Island Earth",  much to the older film's benefit, IMO.
In reply to Message (23093.1.1.1) Hello Re: Re: Re: Trivia time again!

By MK - wamtec@compuserve.com us Tue 20/06/06 07:30:30 GMT

Hi Anthony,....."This Island Earth" is a great film well worth renting.

>The Tom Cruise version of "War of the Worlds" was a masterpiece of special effects and filmmaking technology.

Thats the entire problem with the film....the special effects are truly amazing, but nobody seemed to pay attention to geting a decent SCRIPT. You know a film sucks...when you find yourself laughing every 5 minutes, and it's not supposed to be a comedy, and you stop paying attention to the silly script and start focusing on the amazing production effects instead. I found myself saying...."that was an amazing camera shot....how did they do that". Spielberg and Cruise spent 200 million to make this movie.....but they could not afford to pay some high school kids $10 to pre-screen the film for them....cos any kid could point out at least 30 major flaws in the plotline (e.g. the aliens cause all electronic devices to stop working...and Spielberg makes it a point to zoom in on close up of Tom Cruise's watch that has stopped...and in the next shot......Spielberg must have alzheimers disease...cos while everybody elses electronic devices no longer work...he makes a big scene out of this guy using his CAMCORDER....so how the heck can this guy's camcorder be working...when nobody else has electronic devices that work). And while fighter jets and tanks are unable to cause any damage to the alien ships, Tom Cruise manages to bring one down with one little itty bitty grenade...ha ha.

One thing is for sure.....after about 10 times hearing Dakota Fanning screaming all the time.....everybody is rooting for the Aliens......to just zap that kid and shut her up....ha ha

MK

In reply to Message (23093.1.1) Hello Re: Re: Trivia time again!

By AnthonyX - anthonyx@jowc.net ca Mon 19/06/06 16:20:04 GMT

Thanks, MK!

I agree. "Forbidden Planet" and "The Day The Earth Stood Still" are sci-fi classics. By today's standards, the special effects and even some of the dialog may seem a bit cheesy, but underpinning the scripts were some very interesting ideas and a pretty good representation of scientific knowledge for their day. I only saw This Island Earth once a long time ago, so I can't comment. I've read a synopsis of the story - which would put it right up there as one of the classics.

I wouldn't be so harsh about "Contact". The book was excellent sci-fi; the movie made a few disappointing departures from the book, but otherwise captured the essence of both the story and underlying ideas. The Tom Cruise version of "War of the Worlds" was a masterpiece of special effects and filmmaking technology, but I'll take the 1953 version over it any day.

By the way... Gene Roddenberry borrowed heavily from "Forbidden Planet" when he created the original "Star Trek". Kirk, Spock, and McCoy very closely parallel the 3 principal characters in FB, which itself is a re-telling of Shakespeare's "The Tempest". For that matter, a lot of Star Trek borrows from Shakespeare, either retelling/re-interpreting the stories, quoting or paraphrasing lines, or re-enacting scenes from the Bard's plays. Likewise, you can see ideas presented in a fairly original way in the classic movies which have since been borrowed, copied or co-opted into subsequent material.

I think most of today's sci-fi crap comes about from action/adventure stories being grafted onto a sci-fi setting, rather than developing an original story out of one or more interesting ideas or situations.

In reply to Message (23093.1) Hello Re: Trivia time again!

By MK - wamtec@compuserve.com us Mon 19/06/06 14:31:23 GMT

Yes...WIR's picture is correct....that is the right scene.

FYI.."This Island Earth".this is one of the best science fiction films of all time (also"Forbidden Planet" and "the Day the Earth Stood Still")......and those 50's films were so much better than the rubbish we see today like the appalling films "Signs" and "Contact". Take the latest Stephen Spielberg film "War of the Worlds" for example...this film was so bad, I kept laughing every 10 minutes due to the totally illogical script and gaping errors in the plotline. I stopped counting after the first 2 dozen illogical elements in the script....I saw a better scripting work in "Deuce Bigalow - European Gigolo"...ha ha

mk

In reply to Message (23093) Question Trivia time again!

By AnthonyX - anthonyx@jowc.net ca Mon 19/06/06 09:38:52 GMT

I have the following entry in my IWDB, but I'm not sure it's correct.

http://iwdb.jowc.net/scene-offsite.asp?id=836

Could anyone confirm for me:

1) If the picture is actually from that movie (This Island Earth)

2) It is indeed of Faith Domergue and Rex Reason

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy Clips4Sale
Wetlook-Online

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.039 seconds to generate ]