Wetlook-Online

Message # 21883.1.1.1

Subject: Hello Re: Re: Re: tech question for thost who downloaded videos

Date: Wed 19/04/06 06:56:05 GMT

Name: Telcontar gb

Email: mrnemesis@ntlworld.com

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

hm, can't say I've ever seen any problems using it on sites, and it never seemed hard. Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=XYZ. Set the correct MIME type (Content-Type: ABC/DEF) for what you're serving and it should work. But then again, I don't recall having used it, as my own site remains free of spying on outbound links and download counting and any other weaselling, I just stick to plain old links.

For a pay site, though, it's a bit tricky. The problem is ensuring that only the people who paid, can receive. Cookies help, but you can't easily have a cookie check performed on a direct request for a media file. The only way I can think of is, in Apache (and I think Mr Kahuna is using IIS!), to use mod_rewrite to catch the URL and feed it to a CGI script to do the checking for cookie validity, but leave the URL undisturbed, so when you pass through the file inside the CGI, the browser doesn't suspect anything and keeps the filename in question. Otherwise, you can use a link like get.asp?clip=ABC and then feed the browser the correct filename.

There's also of course Basic HTTP auth (realms) but the passwords to such could just be distributed ...

Anyway... have to see what happens.

In reply to Message (21883.1.1) Hello Re: Re: tech question for thost who downloaded videos

By Anonymous - max_2@poczta.fm pl Wed 19/04/06 05:37:36 GMT

Best practice is to avoid Content-Disposition completely, because it is unreliable and very hard to do right. Instead, construct your links in such a way, that they contain the file name in them.
In reply to Message (21883.1) Info Re: tech question for thost who downloaded videos

By Telcontar - mrnemesis@ntlworld.com gb Tue 18/04/06 20:42:14 GMT

Just a note -- I am good with HTTP headers and transactions (and I have made a custom tool specifically for this sort of job), if you're stumped by this just let me know and I can look into it. It sounds like either a wrong MIME type or a missing/broken Content-Disposition header (the one that carries the filename during pass-through) but I'd need to see the HTTP headers to be sure. It's been too long since I bought a clip to remember how your site all works :)
In reply to Message (21883) Info tech question for thost who downloaded videos

By Wet Kahuna - knightowlvideo@hotmail.com us Tue 18/04/06 17:08:07 GMT

During testing of the new server, I spot checked the download files (buy clips). On left clicking the download link, the file starts playing in windows media player. On right clicking & "save link as", the file downloads. They seem to work so I aborted to save time & bandwidth.

Today I got the first problem reply email, so I did a full test on their download link.

I saved the link, and it saved the complete file, but it named the file "get.asp". (I checked several other files, all files save as "get.asp")

When I left clicked on the file, it tried to open in ms frontpage. Using Win XP I right clicked & chose open with windows media player. It worked. I also renamed get.asp to XX.mpg (also .avi) and they both worked in windows media player.

So question to you who downloaded the files - Did you have any problems? Did your file save as XX.asp?, or did your download work correctly?

Thanks for your input.

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy Wetlook-Online
WetLooker.com

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.038 seconds to generate ]