Wetlook-Online

Message # 20115.2.2.1.1

Subject: Hello Re: Re: Not quite

Date: Thu 05/01/06 00:52:18 GMT

Name: Desert Hawk us

Email:

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help
with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

Previous Reply
Next New Message
Active List Archive

One major reason the PC became dominant is the same reason VHS beat Beta.  VHS was available under many brand names, but Beta was only available as Sony.  If Sony had licenced Beta to other manufacturers as JVC did for VHS, it might have won.  PC's were available under many brand names (remember when they were called "IBM compatable"? nobody uses that term any more, do they?), while Mac/Apple (and Amiga/Commodore and many others) were only made by one manufacturer each.  Consumers like a choice of brands.  

I think the first public access to part of the internet (not the world wide web) was Compuserve in the late 70's.  ASCII text only, 300 baud modems.  Local direct dial BBS's came along in the 80's, and were many people's (including me) first onlime computing.  Some BBS's were connected to echomail networks.  1200 baud modems came along and we thought that was incredibly fast.  Then came 2400, then the astounding speed of 9600.  Nobody ever dreamed of 36000+ or broadband.  

In reply to Message (20115.2.2.1) Hello Re: Not quite

By MK - wamtec@compuserve.com us Tue 03/01/06 20:17:27 GMT

True....nobody can predict what the future may bring...and no system or software that is released is perfect....there are always flaws....and for every person that develops a great concept...there are always people who have nothing positive to contribute to society themselves....except to seek to destroy what others have done....i.e. hence the hacking community and spammers and virus makers....these are worthless parasites in our society that we all have to live with. It is very easy to criticize Bill Gates and say he was lacking in vision....all I can say is....you don't get to be the richest man in the world by lacking in vision.

Whether you like Bill Gates or not....you cannot deny all the good things he has done with his wealth....look at the latest cover of Time Magazine....with Gates and his wife and Bono on the cover...they are quite correctly honored for all that they have done for the people of Africa.

Bill Gates is really no different to Thomas Edison 100 years ago....who never himself actually invented most of things that he patented and is now given credit for....Edison had over 100 scientists who worked for him in developing new inventions, and he just slapped his brand name and trademark on it and marketed it.

mk

In reply to Message (20115.2.2) Hello Not quite

By AnthonyX - anthonyx@jowc.net ca Tue 03/01/06 18:22:50 GMT

Yes, Gates was the one to make billions from the idea, but he wasn't the only one to see the potential and market Windows.

And XEROX DID sell a product which used the Windows concept: the "Star". I know... I used to work for a company which owned a couple of Stars - they used them for authoring product documentation.

Also, long before Windows, there was the Apple "Lisa". Again, same company had purchased a Lisa too. The Lisa was my first exposure to a "Windows"-like GUI. If anyone saw the potential for Windowing GUIs, it was Steve Jobs of Apple. He just got overtaken by the Microsoft steamroller. And, I think Windows was initially a bit of a tough sell on what was then "DOS" platforms. Early versions of Windows were slow, unstable, and riddled with limitations. I think Apple has held a technical lead over Microsoft for many years. It's only been with NT and its derivatives (2k and XP) that Windows has become a serious contender, and it's only because Windows was offered as THE ONLY migration path for what had become a vast installed base that became the market leader it is today. It's not Bill Gates we have to thank for it - it's IBM's product strategy for the PC. By publishing all the technical details on the PC and pricing it on the high side, they stimulated the clone market which eventually almost pushed them out of the PC market entirely, and made the PC the most popular platform on the planet. Not that I think it deserved to be. The first generation Apple was a far superior product to the first (or even second-generation) PC. Apple's tight control over the product limited the number of third-party hardware and software developers working on the Apple platform; the PC was much more developer-friendly. That allowed the PC market to grow extremely rapidly. I don't think even Bill Gates could have seen it coming. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time with DOS, and struck the right licensing deal with IBM. The only reason Gates nurtured Windows was because of the huge DOS user base which could have defected to more advanced platforms if they didn't do something to catch up. The threat is still present today with Linux. Vision? I doubt it. If Billy had any real vision, he would have seen the rise of the hacking and virus-writing communities and could have ensured that Windows was properly hardened BEFORE any threat could emerge.

In reply to Message (20115.2) Hello Re: Craig's List?

By MK - wamtec@compuserve.com us Tue 03/01/06 14:49:56 GMT

FYI.....Craig's list dates back to the very birth of the internet as we know it.

FYI...it was Craig who basically invented the concept of "the search engine"...cos he was the first person n 1995 to start compiling lists of things that people would want to search for.

Unfortunately....Craig never really developed his concept...and then along came 2 young graduates in their early 20's (David Filo and Jerry Yang) who took Craig's idea of lists of information....and developed their own search engine called YAHOO. David and Jerry then became billionaires before they were 25 years old....and then the creators of GOOGLE came along and they became billionaires too.

This guy Craig Newmark must be kicking himself in the head these days....cos he only makes chump change from his business....while other people stole his ideas and created YAHOO and GOOGLE and became billionaires.

But thats life.....it is not those who come up with an idea that become rich....it is those people who see the potential in an idea and are able to develop and market it.

It's the same with Bill Gates and his "Windows" software. It was XEROX who actually invented the concept of Windows, and they had it under development, but could not envision a usage for it. So...both Xerox and IBM passed on it, and they allowed Bill Gates the exclusive rights to develop it....and that was the biggest mistake Xerox and IBM ever made in their history....passing up on that software and allowing Bill Gates to have it.  They did not have a vision for that software .....but Bill Gates saw the potential in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig%27s_list

MK

In reply to Message (20115) Question Craig's List?

By closetwetlookloverinnyc - us Tue 03/01/06 13:29:53 GMT

Has anyone here used Craig's List to meet a wet partner?

Any luck?  Any thoughts?

Report Abuse or Problem to Nigel at Minxmovies
If you enjoy this forum, then please make a small donation to help with running costs: Make Donation (you can change amount)

All WAM Drunk Sex Orgy Wetlook-Online
WetLooker.com

Minx Movies - M12 - Dressed in Wet is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M15 - Wet Me Now is now in the Download Store
Download Store

Minx Movies - M14 - Get Wet With Me is now in the Download Store
2ipmd65.jpg2ipmdg2.jpgckfbj77.jpgjapgs25.jpgzgjbt99.jpg Download Store 2fpbs94.jpgkijws74.jpgrlsps97.jpglasbjg7.jpg2fptg96.jpg2gpdde7.jpg

Minx Movies - M8 - Mask Of Wetness is now in the Download Store
Download Store

[ This page took 0.025 seconds to generate ]